International Journal of Mental Health Systems (IJMHS), established in 2007 by Professor Harry Minas, is a leading open access journal in the field of mental health and health systems research. It provides an international platform for rapid and comprehensive scientific communication on mental health systems research as original research, reviews, case studies and guidelines, policy, debates, technical and methodological advances, and lessons from the field that will advance and shape the emerging discipline of global mental health. IJMHS is owned and published by BMC, part of Springer Nature.
Established in 2007, IJMHS is owned and published by BMC, part of Springer Nature. It covers all the latest research in the field and its content gets over 45,000 accesses each month.
BMC is seeking to appoint an Editor-in-Chief to succeed Professor Harry Minas, the founding Editor of IJMHS. The newly appointed Editor-in-Chief will have full editorial responsibility for the content published in the journal and for ensuring that the ethos, editorial standards, policies and scope of IJMHS are maintained. S/He will also be responsible for providing strategic guidance and overseeing the commissioning of non-research content.
The ideal candidates will be:
- Physicians and researchers with broad experience in the field of Mental Health Systems research and Global Mental Health, and be able to demonstrate their impact in the field with an extensive publication history.
- Experienced as journal Editors, with strong critical analysis and appraisal skills, and a good understanding of peer review and publication ethics.
- Keen supporters of open access publishing.
- Able to demonstrate strong leadership.
- Excellent strategic planners with the ability to develop a clear vision for International Journal of Mental Health Systems.
- Interested in building strong community relationships with psychiatry and mental health experts at all levels.
- Keen to innovate and continuously develop International Journal of Mental Health Systems.
- Engaged with technology and willing to use the Journal’s online submission and peer review tools.
- Able to dedicate time on a regular basis to a busy and thriving journal.
International Journal of Mental Health Systems is currently supported by an Editorial Office run by the publisher for administrative services, and is further supported by a committed team of Associate Editors. The position is unpaid, with a nominal honorarium. While the time commitment is flexible, we anticipate the post-holder would have a full-time position elsewhere.
Term of appointment
The term of office will be for five years, with an option for renewal by mutual consent for a further five years.
Further details regarding the role and a detailed job description can be obtained by contacting Sara Ho, Senior Journal Development Editor, at email@example.com
Individual and joint applications will be considered. Applications should include a full CV, a letter explaining your interest in the post, and an outline of what your editorial policy and vision might be. Applications should be sent to Sara Ho, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications
30th January 2021
Interviews and start date
Interviews will be held from January 2021, with a start date on 1st May 2021.